What is a cover letter?
• A formal letter that goes on top of your resume – should make a good first impression.
Why use it?
• The purpose of a cover letter is to personalize the application process and state the
specific skills you have that are required for the position you are seeking.
• Letterhead – should be identical to the heading appearing on your resume
• Font – should also match the font used in your resume
• Format – make sure to include the date and the name and address of the individual to
whom you are writing – make sure everything is spelled correctly!
• 3–4 short paragraphs
ο Identify the position you are applying for and state your interest
ο State what makes you right for the job
ο Express thanks for consideration
ο Provide your contact information and request a meeting/interview with the potential employer.
• Sign off using: sincerely, cordially, or respectfully. Type your full name but make sure
you leave room for a signature.
• Write to a specific individual – you want to try to get your letter and resume into the
hands of the person who is doing the hiring.
• Research the company – and describe in your cover letter how you fit into the company's
• Include your best qualifications – the skills, knowledge, experience, education, and
attitudes that most closely relate to the job requirements that were listed in the job
• Should state what you can do for the employer, not what the employer can do for you.
Cover Letter Template 1
Cover Letter Template 2
Sample Cover Letter